Knowledge is power. Our goal is to provide you with the knowledge needed to unleash your potential.
USC Salkehatchie’s Leadership Institute partners with the Walterboro-Colleton Chamber of Commerce to provide Leadership Colleton. The purpose of the program is to:
- educate and inform participants of the challenges and opportunities in Colleton County by providing workshops led by subject matter experts and tours of the county
- introduce emerging leaders to the current leadership, encouraging discussion and open exchange
- build a realistic understanding of the what leadership in the community looks like.
- assist in placing graduates in volunteer community service roles
- develop interpersonal relationships and team spirit among participants to provide common ground for working together on community projects
The curriculum is designed to be relevant to Colleton County. It is current, at times controversial, and designed to have a strong community impact.
Leadership Colleton begins with an orientation retreat in September. Participants must attend this session since it is an essential part of the team building process. After the opening session, there will be 9 one-day sessions. Each session will begin around 8:30 a.m. and end about 5:00 p.m. Participants can miss no more than eight total hours of program time. Commitment to this schedule is required since it is conducive to strong team development.
Most sessions will be held on the third Thursday of each month. In addition, participants are expected to attend at least one City Council meeting, one County Council meeting, one School Board meeting and participate in the citizen’s ride along program with the Walterboro City Police and Colleton County Sheriff’s Department. Graduation will be held at the Chamber of Commerce Annual Awards Dinner Banquet in June.
Tuition includes all program materials, refreshments, lunches, and one ticket to the Chamber’s Annual Awards Meeting in June. Tuition is currently $600 per participant.
Leadership Colleton is open to persons approximately twenty-five years of age or older who live or work in the Colleton County area. Participants will be chosen by the Leadership Colleton Selection Committee in August/September of each year. Apply here.